Powered By Blogger

2/22/2011

Leslie W2 Vintage Headphones

 


One of my great friends Yuri, taught me most of what I know about music and recording. I remember he introduced me to the vintage sound of a Hammond B3 through a Leslie speaker cabinets on the early Deep Purple & Nucleus (highly collectible) records. Yuri has the original pressing, I have a newer 180g vinyl pressing. 

The Doppler swoosh sound was incredible to me as he went through his incredible selection of vinyl. He described how the Allman Brothers Band and others would perform on stage with their Leslies rocking back and forth on the stage to give it a methodical sense of manic timing and sound. So calculated were the echoes of the vibrating Leslies most noticeable on Pink Floyd's "echoes". They were simply put, "the sound of an era". I was in high school listening to the Police and a Flock of Seagulls playing their mini moogs and DX-7's at the time and loved that I had been opened up to this new (old) ear candy. I came across these 1968 vintage Leslie W2's and it brought me back to that time. I recognized the logo and had to grab them. I didn't know that they even produced any audio accessories so these seemed like quite a find and it turns out they were. Ultra rare the W2's truly are vintage open aired units that have great reproduction. If I were to find a flaw it would be a lack of bass as is not unusual in those days without spending some serious money on higher end cans. Great mids and low fatigue,  I find them to be excellent for 40 year old phones. The W4's were the successor to the W2's and were upgraded with a switchable crossover to select genres from Classical to Popular and then to Vocals. Cool! These were only available in black with chrome accents. I will be watching for a pair of these one day.




4 comments:

  1. Leslie headphones? Had no idea! Now I'm learning something new...
    Good Stuff Justin!
    Y.

    ReplyDelete
  2. theres a brand of speakers named after me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a pair of W2's, new in original box. Only used once by me, on my ham radio to test them out. Not worth a whole lot to me. Just a good thrift store find. hit me up I am sure we can come to an arrangement.

    rferrell@csd.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a set of these W2 headphones in like new condtion - selling them for $20 plus postage :) write to whatnow51@hotmail.com if interested!

    ReplyDelete